813 Arguello Rd
Assessor Parcel Number: 029-151-013
Located on the north side of the street 813 Arguello Road is developed with a one-story Mediterranean Style, stucco-clad wood frame house (It was originally a Minimal Traditional Style house that was later remodeled in the Mediterranean style). Capped by a low-pitched intersecting combination hipped and side gable roof covered in composition singles the house has an L-shaped footprint with a slight projection off the east end of the street façade (south elevation). The recessed portion of street façade features a freestanding pergola supported by Tuscan style columns that shelters a set of wood frame single-light French doors that open onto a stone-paved terrace. A wood plank front door set in a deep reveal flanked by massive semi-circular piers is set at the west end of the elevation’s projecting wing. A metal frame, multi-light casement window wraps around the southeast corner of the elevation. A large brick chimney is set near the south end of the west elevation. At the east end of the street frontage is a detached, one-car garage capped by a flat roof. It is flanked on its west side by a set of concrete steps that lead up to the front door. The steps are flanked on their west side by a retaining wall of roughly dressed sandstone blocks.
Architectural Style: Minimal Traditional
Property Type: Single Family Residence
Original Use: Single-family residence
Post-construction alterations have obscured the house’s original Minimal Traditional Style architecture. Because the integrity of design is poor the house at 813 Arguello Road can no longer convey the essential features of its original Minimal Traditional Style architecture. Therefore, the house at 813 Arguello Road is not individually eligible for listing as a City of Santa Barbara Landmark or Structure of Merit.
1950: D. T. Baker, owner
1955: Lionel L. Replogle, owner