Thumb 08252014 040  Map
2300 Garden St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: 1901-1949
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
The St. Anthony Seminary coimplex is a cohesive group of six buildings integrated by a series of arcades, which form a cloister, a courtyard, and a patio. The site is framed by low sandstone walls with sandstone pillars delineating the entrance to the property. The Main building sits behind a dominant open grassy lawn and a sandstone retaining wall with a series of palm trees defining the skyline.
Thumb 09042014 029  Map
1404 De La Vina St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: 1872 and 1900
Architectural Style: Italianate
The main hotel building, which originally measured 30'x44', is a two-story wood frame structure of Italianate style. The low hipped roof is topped with a widow's walk cupola. Eaves of both the cupola and main structure are supported by oversized pairs of brackets. Second story double hung windows feature classical detailing. The eye-catching veranda has slender sculptured wood columns.
Thumb 08062014 027  Map
112 116 De La Guerra St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: 1830, 1922, '23, '25
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
The Lugo Adobe is a one-story, stuccoed adobe brick structure with a gabled tile roof that sits at the rear of the subject lot. A wing was added in the 1920s in the same style. Adjacent to the adobe, on the eastern side, is a small board-and-batten structure. At the eastern front of the parcel are two-story studios set diagonally on the lot. They are of wood frame construction with stucco surface. These studios have a flat roof with cornice molding at the parapet line. There are large multi-pane windows and heavy wood plank doors...(more)
Thumb 08202014 116  Map
700 730 E Canon Perdido St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: 1938
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
The "L" shape main building is comprised of a 2-story auditorium with balcony and stage. Other wings are one-story frame and stucco with gabled tile and shed roofing. The structure includes a four-story central tower with French windows and wrought iron work. Two one-story buildings complete the courtyard and have large bay doors opening on to it. All buildings have wood framed multi-paned windows and red tile roofing. The Memorial Rose Garden is located between the Armory building and the motor pool.
Thumb 08202014 098 300 800 E Anapamu St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: 1908 and 1929
Architectural Style:
Native to the Mediterranean region. Handsome medium-sized tree having a flat-topped umbrella-shaped crown, and stiff needles in bundles of 2. The name Stone Pine is derived from the extremely hard shell of the sweet edible nut. Recommended by the California Association of Park Administrators as one of a selected list of 65 trees suitable for parkway planting in southwestern United States. Commonly planted in this region as a street, park, and garden tree.
Thumb 08062014 049  Map
813 Anacapa St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: 1911-1924, 1928-1929
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
Created as a pedestrian shopping center in the early 1920's, the Spanish Colonial Revival buildings have been arranged around a group of existing historic structures: the famous 1819-26 Casa de la Guerra Adobe and the two Orena Adobes of 1849 & 1858 on the corner. The main entrance to the interior courtyard is the Street of Spain off E. De La Guerra Street. It has been referred to as an excellent copy of Andalusian street. Later building portions and entrance paseos were added from Anacapa Street and State Street.
Thumb 08202014 025  Map
105 E De La Guerra St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: Various
Architectural Style:
See 802-812 Anacapa St.
Thumb 12 15  Map
224 Chapala St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: Unknown
Architectural Style:
See 209 State Street for Southern Pacific Railroad Station designation.
Thumb 08252014 037  Map
320 W Pueblo St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1919
Architectural Style:
A large Moreton Bay fig tree, a specimen native to Australia. Large buttress roots and canopy. Located in front of the Reeves wing.
Thumb wp 20140804 052  Map
400 Block Santa Barbara St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1890
Architectural Style:
42-inch diameter eucalyptus tree standing approximately 85 feet high and is the last remnant of Judge Charles Fernald's home and elaborate garden. Located on the East side of the 400 block of Santa Barbara Street.
Thumb 07312014 003  Map
906 Garden St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1855 and 1969
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial
A wood covered adobe with gabled shingled roof and wood frame additions. Shed overhang with posts over the veranda. Left section of building has shiplap siding; other portions are board and batten. Sashed double-hung and casement windows. Projecting wing on right has flat overhand roof and stone chimney. Another recessed wing on right has sightly lower flat roof and double glass doors. A studio apartment was added in 1943. A garage and storage room was added in 1946, and a dressing room, kitchen, and utility room was added in 1950.
Thumb 08202014 093  Map
421 E Figueroa St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1860
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial
A one-story adobe house with high shingled gable roof is set at a diagonal behind a long circular driveway. A multi-paned window with an unusual pointed trangular top is beneath the left side gable end. In the front the roof supported by posts extends over the long narrow verandah. An attached combined shingle and board and batten wing with a gable roof projects to the right.
Thumb 08062014 035  Map
110 E De La Guerra St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1812
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial
A one story recatngualr adobe and brick structure with medium gabled tile roof. The roof slopes to a shed on the east side where a brick addition was made in 1930. Only two rooms are adobe. It has thick walls and a recessed entry and windows. The north wall was rebuilt after the 1925 earthquake and is now buttressed. The structure is covered in stucco.
Thumb 09042014 033  Map
100 W Carrillo St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1878
Architectural Style:
A Norfolk Island Star Pine Tree (Araucaria excelsa), approximately 90 feet tall, evergreen, and in fairly good condition. Located on NW corner of Chapala and W Carrillo Streets on the same property as the old YMCA building. The tree is prominent in the Cityscape and is visible to travelers coming up Chapala Street from the freeway.
Thumb wp 20140804 017  Map
101 W Montecito St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Constructed: c. 1874 and 1877
Architectural Style:
A Moreton Bay Fig Tree (Ficus macrophylla), native to the Moreton Bay region of eastern Australia. This particular tree is one of the largest of its kind in the nation.
Thumb img 6984  Map
223 F East Figueroa Street
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1916
Architectural Style: Vernacular
See attached staff report
Thumb 223 court  15  Map
223 D East Figueroa Street
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1925
Architectural Style: Vernacular
The vernacular cottage was one of four constructed in 1925 as an assemblage of a bungalow court. These four were added to four existing cottages constructed in 1916 to make an bungalow court of eight cottages. The 223D Cottage, like the other three constructed in 1925, have gable roofs, clapboard siding, entrances facing East Figueroa Street, and vertically oriented paired double-hung windows. They display a similar single and paired window pattern along the driveway, and were identical when built...(more)
Thumb img 5667  Map
617 De La Vina St. / 622 Bath Street
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1917-31
Architectural Style: Craftsman
This court is comprised of sixteen single-family bungalows in the Craftsman style. The property runs from De La Vina to Bath Street and is also known as 622 Bath Street. All of the dwellings are resting on a concrete and pier foundation with rectangular footprints. The gable roofs are covered with composition shingles and the eaves are exposed. Knee braces are present in the gable fronts of seven dwellings. All of the dwellings have either a rectangular wood vent or wood slat triangular vent in the gable peak. The dwellings and ancillary buildings are clad with lapped wood boards...(more)
Thumb early photograph  Map
1295 Coast Village Rd
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1928
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
The three-story, H-shaped, reinforced concrete building, with a hipped parapet of red terra-cotta tile and a flat roof, is characteristic of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. There is a four-story, hipped roof tower on the northeast elevation, a matching tower on the west elevation, and a garage at grade and basement level. In the back line of the H-shape, the hotel has a two-story open arcade. The terra-cotta tile roof and smooth stucco walls with deeply recessed openings are character-defining features of the Spanish Colonial Revival Style...(more)
Thumb img 6830  Map
3014 Paseo Del Refugio
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1927
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
The Spanish Colonial Revival style house embodies the following elements that demonstrate an outstanding attention to design, detail, materials, and craftsmanship: • The projecting, front-facing gable covered in terra-cotta tiles with terra-cotta tile venting in the gable peak. The gable interplaying with the flat roof that is edged with terra-cotta coping. The emphasis on the terra-cotta tile creates a decorative edge from the roof to the wall. • Front entry is recessed in a deep wall opening accessed by two arched openings from the front steps and front porch...(more)
Thumb capture  Map
428 Chapala St
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1870
Architectural Style: Commercial Vernacular
The building historically known as the Casa de Sevilla was constructed in 1870 as a residence by stonemason Joseph Meroux for his family. The house was converted to commercial use as a restaurant in 1926 by the Egus family. Subsequently, over a period of decades, the brick house was encapsulated by a series of additions. Today, the original brick house can only be seen from the interior...(more)
Thumb img 5775  Map
1103 Castillo St.
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1903
Architectural Style: Craftsman
Two-story Craftsman style house with irregular roof lines. The roof material is comprised of composition shingle. The main entrance features stone pillars which integrate nicely with the handcut stone of the first floor and the centrally placed chimney. The house's most significant feature is the fine craftsmanship of its exterior materials such as the stonework featured on the first floor of the house. The windows featured on the front facade of the house are double-hung and divided by horizontal mullions.
Thumb img 5590  Map
1524 Castillo St
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1890
Architectural Style: Stick
Two story, Stick style residence. Features steep pitched gables and a symmetrical porch supporting a spacious balcony. The front entrance is located off the corner on the right side formed by the T-shape of the house. Overhanging eaves adorned with brackets support the gable ends and help define the geometry of the Stick style. The porch columns form an arch which feature ornate spandrels and spindle work at the top. The balustrades of the balcony are elaborate and feature a diagonal/diamond pattern throughout. The windows are elongated, rectangular one-over-one, and double-hung...(more)
Thumb img 5396  Map
317 Chapala St
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1926
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
One-story Spanish Colonial style building, is in the simple rectangular box-shaped form with a flat roof. The main facade features two massive arches that carve out from the wall material. The left arch features a semi-circular glass window on the upper portion separated by stucco ornamentation raised from the rest of the wall, emphasizing the division between the upper portion of the arch, and the lower portion which features a large fixed window. The other arch features the main entrance door which recesses from the wall plane and is comprised of mirrored glass...(more)
Thumb img 5950  Map
530 Chapala St.
Designation Status: Structure of Merit
Constructed: 1930
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
Two-story, "L" shaped, stucco building in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The structure is covered in terra cotta tile hipped roofs. Features an intersecting octagonal tower with decorative air vents on each of the flat sides. Decorative scalloped relief lines the structure below the eaves. The stuccoed scallops mimic the terra cotta tile shadows, which creates a decorative edge to the structure. The fenestration is comprised of large fixed windows with a multi-pane transom. The second story is a recent addition.