109 Harbor Way
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Assessor Parcel Number: 045-250-004
Historic Name: Naval Reserve Building
Also known as 111, 113, & 117 Harbor Way.
The two-story, hipped roof structure flanked by two single story flat roofed additions. The hipped roof is made of red, terra-cotta tiles. The concrete block building is an off white
stucco coating. The building is designed in the Italian Mediterranean Style with symmetrical façade and casement windows.
Architect: Soule and Murphy
Architectural Style: Mediterreanean
Property Type: Military
Original Use: Armory
This is a City of SB Landmark designated in 1995.
Construction began in 1940 and was finished in early 1942. The architects were Winsor Soule and John F. Murphy of Santa Barbara. L.J. Seckels was the Works Progress Administration engineer for the United States government.
During World War II the Armory served a vital function training personnel to operate and maintain patrol boats and in protecting the coastal waters of the United States. The Armory is a significant example of the work of the Works Progress Administration in Santa Barbara.
The building was found eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.