◀ Back

600 Olive Street

Thumb img 5079

Designation Status: Designated City Landmark

Assessor Parcel Number: 031-171-006

Historic Name: Arnoldi's Restaurant

Constructed: 1940

Property Description:

Built entirely of ashlar cut, sandstone blocks with a terra-cotta tile, hipped roof with simple round wood brackets under the eaves and deeply recessed, eight-over-eight, wood windows, Arnoldi’s demonstrates high-quality materials and craftsmanship.

Architect:

Architectural Style: Vernacular

Property Type: Commercial

Original Use: restaurant

Significance:

This is an excellent candidate for City Landmark designation per the following five criteria outlined in the municipal code:

Criterion A. Its character, interest or value as a significant part of the heritage of the City, the State or the Nation
This building is an excellent example of a commercial building constructed entirely of Santa Barbara sandstone. There are only a few examples of Santa Barbara sandstone buildings in the City. Additionally, the building has remained the Arnoldi’s restaurant since it opened in 1940 and is a center of Italian culture. It represents the Italian working-class culture in Santa Barbara and qualifies as a City Landmark because it is a significant part of the heritage of the City.

Criterion D. Its exemplification of a particular architectural style or way of life important to the City, the State, or the Nation
The building exemplifies the Italian culture of Santa Barbara and the work of the famous Italian stone masons, an important part of life in Santa Barbara in the early half of the 20th century.

Criterion F. Its identification as the creation, design or work of a person or persons whose effort has significantly influenced the heritage of the City, the State or the Nation
The building was built by Joe Arnoldi, a noted stone mason in Santa Barbara since he arrived to Santa Barbara in 1921 from Lake Cuomo, Italy. The Italian stone masons are noted in Santa Barbara for their excellently cut stonework dating from the late 1800s to early 1900s that continues to characterize the City. Arnoldi’s represents the creation of Joe Arnoldi, who significantly influenced the heritage of Santa Barbara.

Criterion G. Its embodiment of elements demonstrating outstanding attention to architectural design, detail, materials and craftsmanship
Built entirely of ashlar cut, sandstone blocks with a terra-cotta tile, hipped roof with simple round wood brackets under the eaves and deeply recessed, eight-over-eight, wood windows, Arnoldi’s demonstrates high-quality materials and craftsmanship.

Criterion I. Its unique location or singular physical characteristic representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood
Arnoldi’s has been operating as an Italian restaurant in the sandstone building at the corner of Cota and Olive Streets since 1940. It was a center of the Italian neighborhood when constructed and has become a gathering place for Italian food and bocce ball lovers of Santa Barbara since that time. Thus, the sandstone restaurant is a familiar visual feature to the Laguna neighborhood.

Historic Integrity:
Integrity is the ability of a property to convey its original appearance. There are essential physical features that must be considered to evaluate the integrity of a significant building. Since 1940, the Arnoldi’s building has had high integrity of location, association, and feeling. The original design, materials, and workmanship have been retained so that the building conveys its original 1940 appearance. Thus, the building has retained a high level of historical integrity.

Thumb 2017 07 05 15 05 45 geocortex viewer for html5

Documents:

Download Department of Parks and Recreation Form