25 E. De La Guerra St.
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Assessor Parcel Number: 037-052-032
Historic Name: El Paseo
One-story, Italianate style building, symmetrical appearance, rectangular in form. Has an arched window at each side of centered arched doorway. Below the arch windows are rectangular multi-paned glass windows divided by horizontal mullions. The windows, and the main entrance door way are deeply recessed within the wall plane and have wood trim. The three narrow arches on the main facade feature squared posts that recess on the wall plane. Cornice at eave line and features a low parapet above. Exterior materials are comprised of stuccoed brick.
Architect: Gaspar Orena
Architectural Style: Italianate
Property Type: antique shop
Original Use: Retail dry goods store
The building was designated a City Landmark in 1983 as it is part of the historic El Paseo. In addition, it qualifies under the following criteria, outlined in the Municipal Code.
Criterion A. Its character, interest or value as a significant part of the heritage of the City, the State or the Nation:
The façade of the structure at 25 E. De la Guerra Street preserves enough of its character defining elements to identify its original architectural style. These features include its symmetrical massing, arched windows at each side of the centered arched doorway and cap, and the stuccoed brick sheathing. These details comprise a significant part of the heritage of the City such that they are representative of the Italianate style in Santa Barbara. The building was incorporated into the original El Paseo constructed in 1923. El Paseo was a shopping/office studio complex, designed by James Osborne Craig. It was the first major project developed toward converting Santa Barbara's image into a Spanish/Mediterranean style city.
Criterion D. Its exemplification of a particular architectural style or way of life important to the City, the State, or the Nation
The building exemplifies the Italianate style which shaped the architecture of Santa Barbara during the 1870's when Italianate architecture was extremely fashionable on the West Coast. Nearly always built of wood, Santa Barbara's Italianates portray their strong tie to fellow Victorian styles, while showing their Italian reference through their low sloped roofs, large eave extensions and bold, expressive brackets. Several examples of Italianate architecture can be found in the Brinkerhoff Avenue Landmark District as well as dotted throughout upper west side of downtown along Chapala and De La Vina Streets.
Criterion G. Its embodiment of elements demonstrating outstanding attention to architectural design, detail, materials and craftsmanship
The building embodies elements that demonstrate an outstanding attention to design, detail, materials, and craftsmanship with the most notable characteristic being the wall material made out of stuccoed brick.
Historic Integrity: The building has undergone minimal alterations which include the addition of a glass-enclosed porch at rear, the garden at rear has been re-landscaped (1975).