◀ Back

1721 Santa Barbara Street

Thumb historic photos  5 Thumb front 1

Designation Status: Designated City Landmark

Assessor Parcel Number: 027-111-005

Historic Name: The George Edwards House

Constructed: 1887

Property Description:

The Edwards House embodies Queen Anne characteristics in its steeply pitched roof, the irregular shape with a dominant front-facing dormer, patterned shingles, cutaway bay windows, and asymmetrical façade with an ornate two-story decorative porch.

Architect: Thomas Nixon

Architectural Style: Queen Anne

Property Type: Residential

Original Use: Residence


The original owner, George S. Edwards, was Mayor of Santa Barbara from 1902-1905 and was recognized for his business, political, civic, and philanthropic leadership. Among his accomplishments during his term as Mayor included appointing the City’s first park commission.In 1887, George Edwards and his wife Anne commissioned architect Thomas Nixon to design the Queen Anne residence at 1719 Santa Barbara Street (the address changed to 1721 in the 1910s).

Thomas Nixon worked in Santa Barbara as an architectural designer, builder, and wood mill operator. Nixon’s architectural commissions involved supplying the design, materials, interior furnishings, and building construction. He specialized in using redwood burls and high-quality, first-growth redwood. Thomas Nixon is recognized as one of Santa Barbara’s most accomplished late-nineteenth-century architects.

Thumb map

Download Department of Parks and Recreation Form