2300 Garden St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Assessor Parcel Number: 025-140-024
Historic Name: St Anthony's Seminary and Grounds
The St. Anthony Seminary coimplex is a cohesive group of six buildings integrated by a series of arcades, which form a cloister, a courtyard, and a patio. The site is framed by low sandstone walls with sandstone pillars delineating the entrance to the property. The Main building sits behind a dominant open grassy lawn and a sandstone retaining wall with a series of palm trees defining the skyline.
Architect: Brother Adrian Wewer, Ross Montgomery
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
Property Type: School
Original Use: all boys seminary
Designated City of Santa Barbara Landmark (11/13/2012).
In 1896, the monastery at Mission Santa Barbara established the "Seraphic College of Sat Anthony" in order to prepare men for the priesthood. The College was originally housed in the Mission, but a new building was required as enrollment increased. Brother Adrian Wewer was the architect hired to design St. Anthony's, and the sandstone Romanesque building was completed in 1901. In 1922, the capacity of the building was exceeded, and architect Ross Montgomery designed two new wings for the building in 1923 in the Spanish eclectic style. After the earthquake of 1925, Montgomery was hired to oversee the building's restoration. The Seminary operated until 1987 after which the buildings were leased to other school programs. It is currently owned by the San Roque School Charitable Trust.
Significant as a City Landmark as per City Council findings (Resolution No. 12-077) by the following criteria:
A. Its character, interest or value as a significant part of the heritage of the City, the State or the Nation. The complex is noted for its association with the Franciscan presence in Santa Barbara, which began with the establishment of the Colegio Franciscano in 1868 at the Mission. The present complex was the home of the St Anthony's Seminary from 1899 to 1987 and continues in the same educational use today as a home for the San Roque Schools.
C. Its identification with a person or persons (San Franciscan Order) who significantly contributed to the culture and development of the City, the State, or the Nation;
D. Its exemplification of a particular architectural styles (Romanesque, Spanish Renaissance and Spanish Colonial Revival) or way of life important to the City, the State, or the Nation;
E. Its exemplification of the best remaining architectural type in a neighborhood;
F. Its identification as the creation, design, or work of a person or persons (Borther Adrian Wewer, Christian Mueller, and Ross G Montgomery) whose effort significantly influenced the heritage of the City, the State, or the Nation;
H. Its relationship to any other landmark if its preservation is essential to the integrity of that landmark (the Mission and Hoffmann House);
I. Its unique location or singular characteristic representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood.
J. The property has the potential to yield significant information of archaeological interest because of its site, which indicates high archaeological data potential from the early mission days.