110 E De La Guerra St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Assessor Parcel Number: 031-081-002
Historic Name: Santiago De la Guerra Adobe
Constructed: c. 1812
A one story recatngualr adobe and brick structure with medium gabled tile roof. The roof slopes to a shed on the east side where a brick addition was made in 1930. Only two rooms are adobe. It has thick walls and a recessed entry and windows. The north wall was rebuilt after the 1925 earthquake and is now buttressed. The structure is covered in stucco.
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial
Property Type: Single Family Residence
Original Use: SFR
Designated City of Santa Barbara Landmark (03/15/1983).
One of the oldest adobes in Santa Barbara, this structure is shown as belonging to James Tryce in 1853. It remained in the Tryce family for many years. The adobe takes its name from Santiago De a Guerra, a member of the prominent De la Guerra family, who lived in it in the 1860s. He was a member of Santa Barbara's Spanish speaking cavalry company during the Civil War.
Significant as a City Landmark as per City Council findings (Resolution No. 83-047) by the following criteria:
A. Its character, interest or value as a significant part of the heritage of the City, the State or the Nation. Because the structure is one of the few remaining adobes and one of the oldest structures in Santa Barbara, and because of the adobe's previous use as a residence for one of the prominent De la Guerra family members, the Santiago De la Guerra Adobe is significant to the heritage of the City.
C. Its identification with a person or persons (Santiago de la Guerra, the Nardi-Monk family) who significantly contributed to the culture and development of the City, the State, or the Nation;
D. Its exemplification of a particular architectural style (Spanish Colonial) or way of life important to the City, the State, or the Nation;
I. Its unique location or singular characteristic representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood.