700 730 E Canon Perdido St
Designation Status: Designated City Landmark
Assessor Parcel Number: 031-041-001
Historic Name: National Guard Armory: Main Building, Rose Garden
The "L" shape main building is comprised of a 2-story auditorium with balcony and stage. Other wings are one-story frame and stucco with gabled tile and shed roofing. The structure includes a four-story central tower with French windows and wrought iron work. Two one-story buildings complete the courtyard and have large bay doors opening on to it. All buildings have wood framed multi-paned windows and red tile roofing. The Memorial Rose Garden is located between the Armory building and the motor pool.
Architect: Edwards and Plunkett
Architectural Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
Property Type: Institutional
Original Use: Armory, Headquarters
Designated City of Santa Barbara Landmark (10/27/1998).
The Great Depression escalated Armory construction under the direction of Works Progress Administration (WPA), an agency created by FDR's 1935 New Deal to provide employment opportunities to the nation. Santa Barbara received funds for WPA projects in the 1930s, and the Armory was built in 1938 by the design of renowned local architectural firm Edwards and Plunkett in the Spanish Colonial Revival style.
Significant as a City Landmark as per City Council findings (Resolution No. 98-143) for following criteria:
A. Its character, interest or value as a significant part of the heritage of the City and State. The armory is a symbol of Santa Barbara's commitment to its Hispanic heritage via the chosen architectural style and also via its dedication on the opening of Fiesta in 1938. The Armory is of course a symbol of military duty for its historic usages especially during WWII and throughout the 1960s civil rights movement. The Armory also continues to honor its historical commitment to civic use, and to this day hosts community events.
D. Its exemplification of a particular architectural style (Spanish Colonial Revival) or way of life important to the City.
F. Its identification as the creation, design, or work of a person or persons (Edwards and Plunkett) whose effort has significantly influenced the heritage of the City.
G. Its embodiment of elements demonstrating outstanding attention to architectural design, detail, materials, or craftsmanship.
I. Its unique location or singular physical characteristic representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood.